Monday, September 27, 2004

Thoughts on 30

I turned 30 today. I suppose I have some thought on that, when I forget to not think about it. Here we go.

- You still get zits when you're 30. I thought this was suppoesd to stop 12 years ago. And yet it continues on. Sure not quite in volume, but it seems I'm always dealing with one. Today, for instance, I've got the classic "where the nose meets the face making it impossible to pop" zit.

- Car insurance is not any cheaper when you're 30. I haven't been pulled over in 3 years, and yet my insurance is more than anyone I know. This might be a by-product of living in California, but still, I'm paying way more than I feel I should even for California.

- You don't get to control the remote when you're 30. I've decided that I want to watch football whenever humanly possible without any sort of friction with the woman. Not that she's given me any friction whatsoever, because she hasn't. But I don't intend to ever NOT want to watch football, so with that goal in mind, when it's not Saturday, Sunday or Monday, I'll pretty much acquesce to watch whatever she wants. Call it preventive maintenance.

- Things that you started to collect in your 20's, you find that you have A LOT of them. My afflictions are DVD's and Star Wars Legos. I have far too many to count of either and continue to gather more. I find this is a function of both age and availibility of disposable income. Whatever the case, I'm glad I don't collect jars.

- Everyone's who has passed this miestone before me is right: turning 30 really isn't a big deal. I don't feel all that old. I don't feel all that different. I don't feel like people are treating me any differently.

Really, it's not a big deal. Yet. I'm sure at some point someone will ask me how old I am and I'll say 30 and it will dawn on me. I imagine it will be even worse if someone says something like, "There's now way you could be 30!" But alas, I am.

Reason #107 not to vote for W: he's doing everything he can to prevent 1000's of American young men and women from reaching 30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home