Saturday, September 25, 2004

Buy this Book

I haven't finished reading it yet. In fact, I've barely started. But I'm absolutely certain that America (the book) from the folks that bring us the Daily Show with Jon Stewart will be the most enjoyable read of my life.

My favorite book of all time is Catch 22. I don't see America supplanting that. But I know I'm going to enjoy reading America more. The only reason Catch 22 will keep it's title and remain the reigning champion of my little book world is because America is a text book, and I can't imagine reading it cover to cover more than once. Hell, I've NEVER read a text book cover to cover even once, but I think I'll muddle through this time.

The Daily Show is quite possibly the greatest show EVER on TV. It's definitely the smartest. It can occationally be the funniest. When you have Presidential candidates announcing their run on your show, then you know you're having at least a moderate influence on the political system. And then that guy goes on to become a Vice Presidential candidate. I think you can make an arguement that it's the greatest ever.

And now these guys have writen a text book on the history of politics in our country and democracy in general? Yeah, I'm getting that book.

I'm just now beginning to realize how difficult it is to write a book review before actually reading it. But this book is just like a text book. It has pie charts and pictures and facts and stats in the margins. It has a Glossary. It has quizes at the end of each chapter. And it has sections written by Stephen Colbert.

I'm writing this now because:
A) it takes me FOREVER to read books because when I have spare time I'm usually on teh computer
B) This book needs to be read by everyone before the November election. In fact, you should have to present a recipt of purchase for this book before you're allowed in the booth.

OK, that's a bit of the stretch. But the fact is, if you like to funny stuff, you think that our current government is both funny and scary, and you can't get rnough pictures of the Amazing Batboy, buy this book.

Reason #21 not to vote for W: he wouldn't understand 96% of this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home