Friday, September 03, 2004

Clamer, slightly overreacting heads prevail

OK, so my flight got canceled at about 2 yesterday afternoon, just a couple hours after my post. Here's the thing, and I'm going to vent for a second so bear with me, hurricanes are completely unpredictable. Anyone who's lived in SoFla for more than 2 years knows that, as a hurricane forms in the Mid-Atlantic, they are ALL potential threats. You just never know what's going to happen. And everyone who was in SoFla for 4th grade history, which revolves around Florida History (they talk about the Seminoles, Ponce De Leon, gloss over a couple hundred years and then go right into Cuba and recent College Football History including a test on the top 100 High School prospects for whatever year you happen to be in the class) has done INNUMERABLE Hurricane plotting maps. Historical Hurricanes That Hit Florida. There is one that is burned in my memory: it crossed over Florida, flipped a bitch and crossed over again. YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THESE DAMN THINGS ARE GOING!!! You can guess, but you just can't possibly know. Entropy at it's finest.

So that brings us to yesterday as I'm rescheduling my flight for Sunday, 24 hours before I was SUPPOSED to land in FLL. Since when did the airlines EVER get ANYTHING right? I was super nice. Nicest I've ever been to an airline because it certainly looked like this thing was chugging along and was behaving in a rational manner. Then an hour after that, it started to slow down. And then 3 hours after that, it started to weaken. And I wake up this morning, and SoFla won't be feeling any affects on this thing until LATE tonight, if not until Saturday morning.

My point here is, if any of you are EVER in charge of canceling flights in response to a hurricane, please do not act until the thing is 12 hours away, because you JUST DON'T KNOW!!! And now I KNOW I want to be in SoFla. Jenn was crushed because this was going to be her first ever vacation, first ever flight, first ever time OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA!! And now she doesn't believe this is ever going to happen. And as much as I tell her we'll get there, we're just delayed a little, we're still at the mercy of the airlines.

I'm at work now, but I just couldn't function if I didn't vent, and I figured my vents are kind of fun, if you can get in your head my voice as you read. So sing along, OK!

REASON #458 why not to vote for W: his brother is Gov of Florida and that state's pissing me off right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home