Friday, January 27, 2006

Worrisome thoughts

This morning at about 4:30 AM, for the first time since last weekend’s AFC Championship game went final, I had a very terrible thought pop in my head: the Steelers might lose. Before that, the thought of losing didn’t even enter into the equation. I thought a lot about doing things to help make sure the Steelers didn’t lose, but I didn’t actually stop and think, “OK, so what if they do lose.” Needless to say, I didn’t sleep very comfortably for the remaining 1:20 I had left before the alarm was set to go off.

I’ve dealt with the Steelers losing in the Playoffs before. A lot before. Very recently, in fact. But it’s been 10 years since I had to deal with the Steelers losing the Super Bowl. I don’t remember the aftermath, but I do remember thinking that losing was an impossibility. It didn’t matter that they were dogs by 14: Pittsburgh does not lose championship games. This time, they’re favored by 4 and all I’ve though about for the past 8+ hours is, “I’m going to be a wreck if they lose.” And the terrible plays that lead to that loss keep passing through my imagination. Before this morning, all I had were visions of the Bus crashing into the end zone. Now I have visions of the secondary looking bewildered as Seattle completes another long gainer.

NOTE TO THE JINX GODS: AT THIS POINT, I AM ONLY QUOTING WHAT I HAVE READ, NOT WHAT I BELIEVE!

I’ve read in several articles, and heard a couple commentators say, that the Steelers feel like a team of Destiny. The Ravens had that feel in their run to the Super Bowl. The Patriots had it in their first run. The Rams had the entire year when they won it. And some of the things that have happened to the Steelers in the past 3 weeks have made some people say the Steelers have the D glow about them. Having people say that, before the actual game happens, scares the crap out of me. Seattle, a team in a city that hasn’t won a championship in eons, can lay claim to the “Destiny” tag every bit as much as the Steelers.

I think it’s obvious that I want nothing more than for the Steelers to win a Super Bowl. I just want to enjoy that feeling. Just be able to soak in the fact that I can be completely happy about a sports season for an entire year. If that happens, then I suppose it’s OK for me to get the disappointed feeling out of my system now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home