Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Backwards and Forwards

Today, I'm trying an experiment. It's the last day of November, so I thought it might be fun to do a review of the past month and a peek forward to the next month. Let’s see how this works out.

Looking Back:
Life in General: November was a good month. Any month that features a trip to see the Steelers play, 2 separate turkey dinners, 2 free days off and a bonus day of football has got to be a good month. And it was. The only weird part was when Chris and Katie’s nephew Ollie came over to see my Star Wars Lego collection. It was abundantly clear that he was super excited to see the collection and I was probably, in his mind, the most accessible, if not coolest, adult he had ever met. I’m not sure how I felt about this. How will my kids feel about this when they’re 13-16. Not good times, I’m sure.

Sports: Steelers lost 2 games. Not good times there. Those same weekends, I lost my fantasy games in my money league. OUCH!!! Just painful all around. And since one of those losses came as recently as Monday, I’m just going to move on.

Movies: The best movie I saw this past month was Shopgirl. Just a wonderful wonderful movie. If you haven’t read the book (by Steve Martin), I highly recommend it. The movie’s just fine on its own, however.

And speaking of book movies, I also saw the Harry Potter movie. Eh. It was good. Not as good as the last one, but certainly better than the 1st 2. I was originally going to do a review, but I was under-whelmed. Rent it.

And I also saw Walk the Line, the Johnny Cash movie. If you saw Ray and liked it, this one is just as good. If you saw Ray and hated it, this one is just as bad. If you were indifferent to seeing Ray, then you’d most likely be indifferent to this one as well. There isn’t a whole heck of a lot different between the 2 movies, really.

Politics: W is still President and still an Idiot. More people recognize the fact that he’s an idiot than a year ago. But that doesn’t help the state of the country any.

Looking Forward:
Life in General: December holds a trip to San Fran (this weekend), a possible trip to SoCal including Disneyland (in 2 weeks), 2 more free days off, and another turkey dinner. Oh, and did I mention presents? Yeah, it should be a good month.

Sports: I am seriously concerned about the Steelers making the playoffs. They have to go 4-1 for the rest f the season to be guaranteed a spot. If they go 3-2, those 2 losses HAVE to be against 2 of the 3 NFC teams left on the schedule due to tie-breakers. Basically, if they don’t beat Cincy this weekend, they’re going to have to win out. Yikes!

On the Fantasy side, I need to get 1 more win to make the playoffs there. Not too tough, but what a crappy turn of events for the team with the most total points. I’ve just been real unlucky with my match-up.

As long as we’re here I’ll give you my NFL playoff predictions: AFC Division Winners – New England, Pittsburgh, Indy, Denver (only one is actually a race at this point); AFC Wild Card – Cincy and Jacksonville; NFC Division Winners – New York, Chicago, Carolina, Seattle; NFC Wild Card – Atlanta and Tampa.

Movies: KONG! I’m psyched about this movie and I’m the only one that I know that is. It’s just going to be great, me thinks. I have no problems with remakes like this when they are done well. Narnia looks like it’ll be good but nothing amazing. I’ll want to see it in the theater, though. Other theater flicks: The Producers, Munich, Syriana, Ice Harvest, Good Night and Good Luck. One that I bet I’ll miss but I wish I could see is Capote.

Politics: What can you say about the Village Idiot? You know he will manage to continue to marvel with his sheer stupidity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home