Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Drama of the Day

Many of you are aware that I’m in a football suicide pool. This is a pool where you pick a single winner for an NFL game each week and you can only use each team twice (though most only let you re-use once) throughout the season. Usually, these things are over by around week 13 or 14. This year, with the bad teams being REALLY bad and there being a whole lot more of them, the pool I’m in has lasted into the Playoffs. 13 people are still alive, to be exact. This is unheard of. But alas, this is the situation I find myself in.

Last week, I, along with everyone else, picked the Patriots, so I can’t pick them again. This weekend, is a much more difficult chore. I have to choose between Seattle, a 9 point favorite, or Chicago, a 3 shaky 3 point favorite over a Carolina team that has looked really good the past 2 weeks (but really bad the week before that). Unfortunately, the decision isn’t quite as easy as it seems. If I take Seattle, I’m all but assured an opportunity to pick again. But then I will most likely be cornered into taking either Indy, which would be a great pick if Devner beats the Patriots but is a super gut wrenching pick if the Patriots win (which I think they will), or my Steelers, which is fine except if they lose in the Championship game, not only will that be the 5th time doing that under Cower, but they would have also lost me the chance at my share of $15,000.

Now if I take Chicago, there is a bonus side affect. Basically, I’d be the only team not taking either of the big favorites this weekend: Indy or Seattle. If they both lose and Chicago wins, I win $15,000 all alone. If they both win and Chicago wins, I can take either of the home teams in the Championship round, which will be a nice little advantage. Or I could end up with bupkiss.

Obviously, I could end up with bupkiss no matter who I pick, but Chicago at least gives me a shot of getting it ALL for me. If I take Seattle and then the Colts/Steelers winner and still end up in the Super Bowl, I’m most likely going to be facing all if not most of the remaining 13 people. And in the Super Bowl, you have to pick against the spread and the total points. Top 2 picks of who covered the spread closest to the total points splits the $15,000. So to recap, my options are:
1) Pick Seattle and almost be certain to remain in the running for a 1 in 6 shot of splitting a $15,000 pot.

2) Pick Chicago and run the very real risk of getting the boot. But if I survive, I increase dramatically the likelihood of winning the whole shebang on my own.

The best part of the story is that this is the #1 concern in my life right now. In fact, as I mull the ramifications of either option in the back of my head on an almost non-stop basis, I realize that this is the #1 source of constant worry in my life in some time. Job issues have caused some stress lately, and far more stress in bouts, but I haven’t had a cloud hang over me like this in quite a while. Certainly not at all since shortly after settling into Fresno. When your top worry is football, I guess there are some folks that deserve a thank you for making the rest of your life relatively calm. THANK YOU, JENN!!!

But still, why did Chicago have to be playing CAROLINA!?!?!?! Why did the Giants and Tampa both have to shit the bed a week early!?!? WHY WHY WHY!?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home