Thursday, January 05, 2006

P_ _ _ L _

I like puzzles. All kind of puzzles make me happy. When I was a kid, my Aunt Pudgy called me Puzzle Paul because I loved to do puzzles and I loved even more to do them as quickly as possible. Now, I love logic puzzles. I frequently find myself addicted to certain games or puzzles.

For the past month, I’ve been absolutely enthralled with SuDoku puzzles. I would print out 2 different puzzles at work every day and do them during down time. The month of December is one long down time, so I had plenty of opportunity to do my daily SuDoku. Unlike many addicts, though, I frequently find that I grow tired of whatever puzzle is currently afflicting me. With the SuDoku, for instance, I began to realize that the easy ones were a little to easy to be very fun and, more often than not, the difficult ones could not be solved with pure logic. If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s S.W.A.G.-ing (Stupid Wild Ass Guess) your way through life. So, I have soured on the Sudoku.

On Tuesday, when I got to work and decided I didn’t really feel much like playing SuDoku or regular Solitaire, I played my first ever game of Spider Solitaire. I LOVE Freecell, but it requires far too much concentration and it’s too difficult to play a single game 2 or 3 moves at a time and still expect to win. But at work, I can’t just stop what I’m doing completely to give my head a rest and play a game of Freecell. For awhile I was on regular Solitaire, Las Vegas scoring. I’d keep it open all day and see if I could finish up. After SuDoku for the past month, that just wasn’t going to cut it. So I tried out this Spider Solitaire which so many friends seem so enthralled with. Turns out, I love me some Spider Solitaire. It doesn’t require the concentration of Freecell, so I can leave a game alone for an hour on end without missing a beat, but it requires a bit more strategy than regular Solitaire.

We’ll see how long this lasts. With the Fantasy Football season over and the NFL Playoffs going bye-bye in a month, I’m going to have to have something to eat up some time throughout the day.

PS: THOUGHTS ON THE NFL PLAYOFFS
Obviously, I’m picking the Steelers to win it all. That’s my heart pick, probably not a reality pick. The reality pick is for a battle royale between the Colts and Patriots on January 22nd with the winner of that game to win the Super Bowl easily over the Seahawks. But the heart pick says that the Steelers are going to easily win this weekend at Cincy (that’s heart and reality). Then they squeak by a rusty Colts team that has just enough potential to be disrupted offensively (as exhibited by a slow start early in the year) that it gives hope to us that are rooting for a quality D. That makes January 22nd a Championship Game re-match, but this time in New England. This will be Big Ben’s break out game as a genuine top-notch QB. That or they go home. Either way, it’ll make for a fun weekend in SoCal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home