Friday, January 06, 2006

Review and Preview

It's time to look back at December and look forward to January.

Sports: Sorry to all of you who don’t care, but this is the highlight. When the NFL Playoff are about to start, that trumps most news events.

The Steelers played very well in December, closing out the season with 4 wins in a row. Now they find themselves 4 wins from being Super Bowl Champs. Problem is that those are all going to be on the road. A very tough sell. I’m preparing my self now for a very sad Monday in January. However, if I’m writing this Review and Preview on February 3rd and it’s entirely about how super excited I am about the Steelers being in the Super Bowl, well, don’t be too surprised if that happens.

On the Fantasy football front, I lost the Championship game in my money league. Again. I won’t go into the agonizing details, but let’s just say I’m hoping that the Jacksonville Jaguars suffer a humiliating loss this weekend.

Food: My brother sent me some bottles of the greatest wing sauce in all the land. I couldn’t be more thrilled. Really. Not possible. It’s from a place called the Quakersteak and Lube originally in Sharon, PA. They’ve franchised and are all over PA, OH, and even have a store in WI and FL. Finding a good wing joint on the west coast is not an easy feat. So to have the sauce is like having a little slice of heaven. Only, I have no idea how to properly prepare this stuff. I’m afraid I’ll only have half a bottle left before I figure it out. I’m planning on trying again this Sunday. Blair, get ready for chicken and Steelers, bitch!

In January, I vow to eat a Cheesecake Factory meal (I’ve only had a couple slices of cheesecake so far) and buy a tube of cookie dough is the Steelers make it into the Super Bowl. I deserve a reward for the torture they’re sure to put me through this month.

Life in General: Christmas was really good, present wise. I got 2 of those plug-and-play video game things, one of which has Galaga on it (only my all time favorite game, bar none). You know what, Galaga being my all time favorite game probably warrants it’s own column. I’m giddy thinking about it. I also got cool Lego pens. And I’m pretty sure that Jenn really liked the presents I got her.

Around Christmas time, my car’s transmission went kaput. So Jenn and I spent the week between Christmas and New Years car shopping (that should have been a blog posting, but I was addicted to SuDoku that week, which probably led directly to me being burned out on it now). To make a long story short, we got a new Hyundai Elantra hatch-back. It’s a great car. It genuinely feels like a useful car, a huge step from me. And I even like the color! The actual buying of the car was a nightmare, but when is it not. It’s like it’s SUPPOSED to suck.

In January, Jenn and I will be heading to SoCal the weekend of the 21st. Austin and Leslie are throwing a karaoke party and we will probably be going to Disneyland. The Karaoke party is at the place where I proposed to Jenn. It should be both a hoot and a holler. I need to prepare for a couple new songs though and I’m wide open for suggestions. I typically like doing fun/cheese 80’s songs or classic rock. The song should be popular and if you can move to it, that’s a bonus (I might love the Beatles, but that doesn’t make a Beatles song a good karaoke song). Last time, I prepared to do St. Elmo’s Fire and they didn’t have that song, so keep in mind that song availability is an issue. To give you an idea of some of my standards: Margaritaville, Loser (which is right in my vocal range [which is to say I don’t sound totally sucky on that one, just relatively sucky]), Tainted Love, Love Shack (as a duet), I’m All Out of Love, Hold Me Now, You Can Call Me Al, You Shook Me (All Night Long), and Austin and I always do a duet of either Bohemian Rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven. And no, saying that you know that I’m gay because I sing I’m All Out of Love and Hold Me Now is not helpful.

1 Comments:

Blogger RauluaP said...

Hey doofus, go back and read the last line of my Blog there. When the person you're making fun of beats you to the joke, it isn't funny.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home