Friday, April 29, 2005

Is it football season yet?

The NFL Draft was last week. I love the NFL Draft. I've actually been to 2 different ones while I was living in New York. However, I'm starting to think that maybe I should avoid them all together. Watching the NFL Draft is a special kind of torture. Just getting that little taste of somethig that I so fully enjoy just isn't right. Like back in the day, if I were in a particularly long dry spell with the ladies, I'd avoid watching Skinemax and the like becasue it would only frustrate me further. The NFL Draft is Skinemax. Here is this wonderful thing - football - and I know I'll get to enjoy the full experience of it again soon. But this little taste just makes the fact that it's not there more painfully obvious.

Sure other sports try to take it's place. The NBA picks up with it's post-season and baseball begins it interminably long season, but is Rosey Palm really a fair substitute for an actual companion. I think not.

Anyway, some woudl say that the Draft is an oasis or even the light at the end of the tunnel. And I guess I can see that view but I'm not buying it. For me, the absence doesn't get filled until I can sign up for my first Fantasy Football team. Then I have an actual activity which PROVES that the End Is Niegh.

So in an attempt to capture some of that magic, I pulled out the sheets from my Keeper league and made some notes on newly drafted prospects that might contribute to their teams - and my Fantasy Team - right away. That was fun for a while. But it only lasted an hour and the fact is, you can't go back to that in a week and tweek it at all because it's done. There isn't any more news. It's only 10 guys or so, so it's not like you can really nudge them up or down your rankings at all.

*sigh* It's almost May. In May, the final Episode of Star Wars will be released. That will be a pleasant distraction!

Editor's Note: the fact that I can write the above and have a woman willing to marry me is astounding and a true testiment to just how amazing a person she is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home