Thursday, March 31, 2005

Ceasar Chavez Day

Jenn has today off for Ceasar Chavez Day. She's explained before that many of the people that help clear out the fields that her Endanger Species Recovery Program use to cultivate endngered native-Californian plants are migrant workers and the like. So I can see those folks getting the day off. But I think if SHE gets the day off, I should have the day off, too. I mean, the customers my company supplies labels to hire MANY MANY MANY migrant workers. I'm sure THEY have the day off. And since they're not working, the packing houses probably aren't packing fruit. So no one's labeling anything today. So I should be at home with my fiance doing dirty things in honor of the great man. That's just my feeling on the subject.

Another though, I wonder how they pcik which day Caesar Chavez Day is on. I'd like to think it's his birthday. But it'd be a shame if it weren't. As a by-product of my job, I know a lot more than anyone really should about the seasons of fresh fruit. And in California, we're in the middle of one of, if not the most, slow seasons for tree fruit. Apples are LONG done. Navel Oranges (the larger of our 2 main varieties) are winding down. Most Tangerine varieties are long done. Grapefruits are pretty much done. Stone fruit (peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, and pluots) don't start for anouther 2-3 weeks. The only think going strong right now are Valencia Oranges. That's it. This is about as easya time as it gets for the migrant worker! And this is the time frame when they get a free day off!?!? GYPE!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home