Friday, February 25, 2005

Ode to the Good Doctor

As most of you knwo Hunter S Thompson shot himself dead on Sunday and I'm mad. I've always felt that suicide is one of the most selfish acts a person can do. However, in this case, with HST, I'm not so sure that that's why I'm mad. Let's be honest: anyone who experienced 1/10 of the things he claims to have been through (which is probably an accurate assement of what he actually did go through) has no right to live to 40 let alone well past 60.

I'm mad because I realize that there isn't anyone of his ilk to be rousing the rabble. There isn't anyone around today that even remotely captures the essence of what it's like to be ALIVE today. And I'm not just saying what it's like to be around today, I'm talking ALIVE, blazing the trail, allowing people to live vicariously through your adventures and at the same time be the voice for those people when the shit's going down and somebody needs to be told what a monumental prick he is (we're looking at you, Mr. Village Idiot President). Jon Stewart comes close. Real close. He's an excelent voice. But maybe too Jewish? I don't know.

Blair introduced me to the joys of HST. Something I've never thanked him for. We rented Where the Buffalo Roam for the Cheeto one weekend: a movie about HST's Super Bowl adventrue as portrayed by Bill Murray. The problem with making a movie out of HST's work is that his writing is already a movie. You're there. You're a witness. Like it or not, your'e along for the ride. So making a movie is a tad redundant.

I'll fess up: I've only read one of his books and any article he's writen since 2000 that appeared on ESPN Page 2. So I'm no expert. But he's one of those people that made you feel better to know he's around. And to be honest, I'm not sure anyone under the age of 30 could ever really FULLY appreciate him. His writing and frame of reference is one based on Experience which instills in you Fear and Loathing. Anyone who pays attention to his surroundings understands the Fear early on. At worst, by 21. It grips you. You think about what was and what is to be and you shudder for it's frightening to think that you're still around and will be in the future.

But the Loathing part... I know I didn't get that until about 2 years ago when we went into Iraq and nobody batted an eye. You have to Loathe ignorance enough to ever understand it. You have to Loathe power enough to realize that those with it shouldn't have it. And you have to have enough Fear to Loathe those that don't.

Anyway, I Fear no one my age is writing the way Hunter was back on the Campaign Trail in the 70's. That's a Loathesome thing, to think that maybe, you are voiceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home