Monday, January 17, 2005

Squeaky Clean

WOW!!!! Now THAT is what you call a close football game. I did not sit down from about 3:10 until an hour after the game was over. It was just a crazy, draining, angering, exciting, death-inspiring, and in the end joyful event to watch. In the end though, the Steelers played their worst game of the year and still managed a W. That's how it's done folks. They gave up a ton of underneath passes. They choked on kick coverage. They caugh Big Ben on a bad day. But they couldn't stop our running game. Like I predicted, if just one of the slightly slow-down-able aspects of their game was functioning in full force, they would win. And they did. I'll be honest: it's very nice to know that your team can throw together the worst performance of the season and still walk with a win. They sqeaked this one out clean. Not as much as I can say for my shorts.

I'm much more calm today than I was 7 days ago. The fact is, if they play their worst game - or second worst game - of the year on Sunday, they will lose. With the Jets, I knew the Steelers could win in spite of themselves. If they were struggling, I knew they could struggle through. Not happening against the Patriots. The good news is, I don't see this team putting up 2 crappy performances in a row. I honestly believe they will respond. I think Big Ben will be just fine. He's a winner. Period. Tom Brady's a winner, too, even if he doesn't look the part. But in the end, I have far more faith in the Steelers ability to rattle Brady than vice versa.

The key to success against the Patriot: PRESSURE TOM BRADY. Constantly. Get in front of his face. Send men up the gut and he'll miss fire. Steelers knew that in October. Dolphins knew it in December. He's going to hit his crossing WR's if he can see them. If he can't see them, 1 out of every 10 plays hell throw it anyway. In October and in the Dolphin game, that led to 4 very costly INT's. But you have to keep after him because he will settle back down. Pittsburgh is not going to play this game not to lose (as they did vs. the Jets).

Yes, the Patriot's Defense is very good and extremely well coached. But so are the Steelers. Both teams will live or die by the run. I think the Steelers stop the run just a bit better and that will enable them to get one extra score. Early. Just like cock push-ups, one's all you need.

The Steelers are 2.5 to 3 point underdogs right now. Please. These teams, on a neutral field, are even. Maybe give 2 to the Patriots because of Brady's experience. But that's it. Big Ben doesn't remember 3 failed AFC Championship games. He doesn't remember the last pick her threw, for Pete's sake. He's going to be fine. And so will I in another 7 days. I hope.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home