Monday, November 08, 2004

That's Incredible!

Believe it or Not, this is going to be a little review for the wonderful movie that was just released: The Incredibles.

*quick side note: remember when reality television consisted of pictures of the World Record breaking 145 foot pizza and a little spot about a guy that lives in a boat shaped house in a dessert? If you do, you're 30. Congrats on making it this far.*

My friend Jim, in some ciricles (though not mine) known as Disney Jim (in my circles, he's just the World Famous Jim Clark (yes ladies, it's true)), told me about an hour before I left to see The Incredibles that it was "the most fun movie-going experience he's had since Indian Jones and the Last Crusade" (soon to be re-titled Penultimate Crusade). That is lofty praise as anyone who remembers That's Incredible on TV but doesn't remember Bewitched as anything but TBS re-runs would attest to. Last Crusade was surely not the best movie I'd seen up until that point in my life. Maybe not even that year. But, DAMN, if it wasn't one hell of a fun roller-coaster ride of a movie to see in a theater with a bunch of friends. Also of note, Jim is one of 2 people in the world who I trust implicitly in the arena of movies. If Jim says I need to go see a particular movie, I'm going to do my damnedest to go see it. No questions asked.

I am here to report that the movie IS in fact that good. What makes this movie even better is that I'd give about $500 right this second for a chance to go to Pixar to see all the footage that didn't make the cut (and the footage you know they created with no intention of ever making the cut featuring all the super-heros we hear about or think might exist in the flick but never really meet). Alas, we'll have to wait for DVD.

Synopsis and revie: Super heros populate the Earth fighting crime. Something happens that make them all have to go into a sort of Witness Protection Program for the Specially Abled. They spend several years off camaera adjusting to The Life when a new baddie pops up requiring the return of Mr. Incredible (the Superman of the Super heros). He sneaks around behind his family's back but they find out and help save the day. The end.

Now, it starts off a little rough but fun. Think about it though: they're creating a comic book universe without the benefit of Pop Culture cache for the past 50+ years. Understanding what's going on in this universe in a very short time frame isn't going to be cake. But they do it and rather well. My only complaint is actually during the time frame when we're seeing the mal-adjusted former heros. This part drags a smigde and while funny, is missing something. I'm not sure exactly what, but that's OK.

Once Mr. Incredible goes off on his own again, though, the final hour+ is an absolute scream.

The afore mentioned Jim has a theory about Animated Features that I had been sceptical about for a very long time but I am now a true beliver in if a slight caveat is added: Action/Adventure animated films don't work because odds are, the audience would rather just see the action with real-life characters. The caveat that I would like to add (and I'm sure Jim would agree, though I haven't spoken to hima bout it yet) is that they DO work if you're creating a comic book universe. In fact, I'd go an extra step and say that I'd probably like the Spiderman movie MORE if they just let Pixar make 'em. There's something about watching people use super powers that is FAR more fun in animation form. It might be because you KNOW they can to ANYTHING, and you're OK with that.

Anyway, this caveat made for a totally enjoyable and I dare say unrepeatable movie experience. Everything works. EVERYTHING, I TELL YOU!!! I just don't see any movie ever capturing the same tone.

And to be honest, that's one of the great things about Pixar. They're not trying to make the next big thing, the next new thing or the next IT movie. They do such a great job of creating uniquely memorable movie experiences, which is all they shoot for. There's a little company called Disney that once did that rather successfully. Once. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home