Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Dancing Shoes are on

Here is a little look at who I like in the NCAA tournament:

Atlanta Region: This is the land of Duke and Texas. A lot of people are saying that, if LSU gets by Syracuse, they should be able to beat Duke. I wish that were true. I HATE Duke, but I don’t see them losing that early. I think it will be Duke-Texas in the Elite 8, with Texas winning. I just can’t pick Duke to make the Final Four. It will never happen.

Upsets: I don’t see any that I like. Southern Illinois could beat West Virginia, but I don’t think that will happen. I actually think the Big East will go 8-0 in the first round. The Big East is so much better than every other conference.

Oakland Region: Pitt’s in this one, so you know where my allegiances lie. I’m filling out the bracket to have Pitt make it, but that’s my heart talking. In my head, I actually like Pitt vs UCLA in the Elite 8. UCLA is coached by Pitt’s former head coach, the guy who brought the program back to respectability: Ben Howland. I see him taking that UCLA team into the Final 4. Their half of the draw is kind of weak. A bunch of teams that either peaked early or are only factors at home.

Upsets: San Diego State will probably beat Indiana. They’re playing on all emotion after their coach declared he’s done at the end of the season. I see that emotion back-firing in the tournament.

Washington, D.C. Region: This one is UConn’s for the taking. They’ll face North Carolina in the Elite 8 and win in probably the best game of the whole tournament. This region features the most egregious seeding of the entire bracket and one of the worst seedings of all time with Tennessee as a #2. THEY SUCK! The SEC is totally over rated this year and they weren’t even the best team in that conference.

Upsets: This Region will be upset city. I like Utah St over Washington, George Mason over Michigan State and Seton Hall to beat both Witchita St. and Tennessee.

Minneapolis Region: This region has 2 of the 4 best Big East teams in it: Villanova and Georgetown. One of those 2 will move on to the Final 4 and wind up losing big to UConn. This region also features Florida so….

Upsets: …. I hope South Alabama beats Florida, but it won’t happen, unfortunately. What will happen is Wisconsin/Milwaukee over Oklahoma. Pacific might beat BC, too, but I’m not as sold on that one.

UConn will end up beating UCLA handily for the championship. And that’s OK. My rules for rooting in the NCAA Tournament:
1) For Pitt
2) For double digit seeds
3) Against Duke, Florida, FSU and Penn State
4) For the Big East
5) For the underdog

So according to that logic, if it can’t be Pitt and it can’t be some random 12 seed, as long as it ain’t Florida or Duke, I’ll enjoy the finale to the next 3 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home