Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Review of the Sith

Giving a review of the final Star Wars installment is a monumental, almost insurmountable, task. It's really too big for me, a devout and loyal fan who has learned the tenents of good and evil from the likes of Luke, Darth Vader, and most of all, Yoda. I loved the original Trilogy and now I love the whole Saga. I really did want to know te back story. It has to make for a good story, right? Well, nowthat it's over, I'm conflicted. Mainly becasue before I was OK that I never knew the back story. It was good enough for me to join Star Wars en media res, right smack dab in the middle fo the story. And it was OK that we never really knew EXACTLY what turned Vader. Becasue we got to see the back end of the character arch, where he experienced redemtion and for 15 years, that was enough. I mean really, do you think Shakespeare needed to actually write up the back story to Hamlet?

Now, I have to deal with the fact that this is my last Star Wars movie ever. This was a lot easier to deal with at 9. At 30, it seems too big.

But when it all boils down, I DID want to see this story told and am even more pleased that, from a story-telling and moie-making stand-point if not a galactic stand-point, it ended on a high note. This was a really good movie. Really and truely. And this time, I like it not just becasue it's a piece of the whole and I know there is more to come, as was the case with the much maligned Episodes1 and 2.

Things I liked:
- I liked that motivation for Anikin never changed. He never waivered in why he did anything that he ever did. He was consistant, which made the fall believable. I don't buy into some of the grumbles that the reason didn't seem to quite be enough. The scope of the Young Anikin character made it enough.
- I liked that Lucas was able to construct back stories for Obi Wan and Yoda that would explain actions 20 years later. Now you know what they've gone through and that makes their charachters in the Original Trilogy even richer.
- I liked that the Jedi weren't perfect and that there was a price they would eventually pay for their devotion to a religion and inability to see the person struggles that a follower of such a religion might experience. While religions provide excelent guideline to follow, a rigid following is not always possible in a hectic life. And the fact that they were unable to relate to Anakin personally is part of what drives him to the Dark Side. A rigid belief in ANYTHING can only lead to greater harm than good.
- Palpatine. A better character than you can even remotely realize in the Original Trilogy. IF anything, it's a shame the first 3 didn't do this character justice.
- I liked that I was completely uncomfortable for the final 1:30 of the movie. Every line broke my heart just a little more becasue all along, you knew exactly what was coming. I don't think I would have cared so much if Star Wars weren't a modern myth and you KNEW Vader would become Anakin again. The important thing about a myth is that you have to have the complete character arch.

I'm not going to come up with a similar list for the things I didn't like. Most of my complaints are minor and can be read in any review on teh Ain't It Cool News reviews (or any other review writen by a true Star Wars geek). However, there is one that I think warrants talking about that leaves me scratching my head: Naboo is still around. Why? How can you have a planet play such a vital role in the new trilogy and not even get a whisper of a mention in the Originals? Wouldn't it have been more powerful to have made Naboo Aldernane of Yavin? Wouldn't it have warranted at least a slight mention in passing? Don't you think it would have been a key part of the rebel alliance? Just makes me scratch my head and realize that the need for Jar Jar was officially ZERO.

I'm serious now, this is really difficult for me. My thoughts are all over the place. But for now, I guess this is the best I can do to relay my feelings. All of the little things are so wonderful. And it just FELT right the entire time I sat there. I think it's possible that you'd have to be a true fan to relate to my thoughts and if you're not a true fan then you're likely not going to get as much out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home