Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Listen to your Dad

As an early Father's Day present to my dad, I'm dedicating the first line of this blog to him: you were right.

I'm not going to be specific, mainly because I only get an hour for luncha nd I don't think most people want to go through the list. But I've learned enough in my life time thus far to know that going forward, when my dad comes up with an idea for me to undertake, and I actually think it sounds like a good idea, then by gum, I'm going to give it a whilr. He's given me enough such suggestions in the past, nearly all of which were dismissed by me as being too difficult to persue with the passion necessary to be successful at (radio DJ, Sports play-by-play to name the 2 that I think about at least once a week). Frankly, I don't doubt that I could have been good at them, I just doubted (and still do) that I had the fortitude to persue them.

However, a couple weeks ago, he came to me with an idea which I just could dismiss: he suggested I draw a political cartoon. I couldn't, at the time, come up with a single reason why that wouldn't be a good idea. Well, I still think it's a good idea, it's just going to take a lot more work than I had initially thought.

Back in the day, I would doodle little cartoons like a champ. I even saved some excerpts from class notes through the years specifically because I didn't want to lose a doodle or 2. When you do something like that with the frequency that I did, well, you're doodles get to have a certain consistance to them. I'm not saying that I was good. But at the time, I certainly wasn't bad for a doodler and I suspect that would be sufficient for a fledgling cartoonist.

6 year's later and I'm WOEFULLY out of practice. I had a really funny idea for my first cartoon and I sat down over the weekend to draw it. I had a vision in my head on exactly how I wanted the characters (Village Idiot Bush and The Emperor) to look. Well, let's just say it' back to the drawing board for me. I need to spend a little more time on my doodling. Since I'm not a very naturally artistic person, being out of habit on doodling has taken what little faculties I may have once had and flushed them down the toilet.

But it's still a good idea. And I fully intend on getting it done. It's just going to take a tad longer to get a portfolio together than I had origially hoped. I'm going to have to get my doodling schwerve back on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home