Friday, March 31, 2006

Inside Inside Man

One of my rules for Great Movies is, if I’m sitting around and randomly think about the movie several days later, and I suddenly realize something I didn’t pick up on immediately after seeing the movie, that’s a great movie. Friends, I’m here to tell you that Inside Man is a GREAT movie.

In this particular instance, I was sitting around on Wednesday and a commercial came on for it. So I started thinking about how much fun I had going to see it. And then, BAM, I realized that the title of the movie has at least 3 meanings that I can think of right now. I’m sure there are more. And the best part, by far, is that the most obvious meaning is probably the least applicable of the 3.

I was talking to my dad today and I mentioned that if he didn’t have plans for the weekend, he should definitely make time to see Inside Man. Turns out he’s already seen it. And he started about talking about stuff that he liked about it that I hadn’t even put in my top 5 favorite things about the movie. Specifically, he commented that he thought it was great that one of the main characters and one of the most serious, in this case Denzel, was also the source to most of the comic relief. See, that’s just cool, I hadn’t thought of that. But most good movies do that.

Plus, him saying that reinforced that fact that there actually are funny aspects to the movie, which bodes well for Jennifer’s eventual enjoyment of it.

The most impressive thing about this movie, which is something that Blair and I did talk about immediately afterward, is that it’s a Spike Lee movie. It’s not that it’s surprising that he could make a good movie. He’s made several great movies over the years. It’s that there’s absolutely no reason this movie wouldn’t have super broad appeal. I’m not sure I would have ever thought that he would make a movie with broad appeal. I’m not saying I didn’t think he could, I’m just saying that I didn’t think he would. I’m also not saying that I always thought he SHOULD. I can’t say that I think that now, even after seeing what a broad appeal Spike Lee Joint looks like. He didn’t have anything to prove to anyone. But I’m glad that he did.

I like seeing great movies. And seeing Inside Man made me very very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home