Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Search

Below is a listing of my current job prospects. I’ve put them in order of which ones I’d like to land the most. I’ve only listed ones which I’ve actually spoken with someone for more than 30 minutes. Since nobody really knows what I do and very few probably care, I’ll spare you most of the boring details of the actual job. At least now, you’ll all know sort of where I am in the search.

1) Royal Caribbean – I’ve had a 45 minute pre-screen phone interview. When I went to Florida in May, I had had a series of interviews for a different group that lasted 6 hours. They ended up picking someone else, but the hiring manager liked me and said she’d try to help find me another role. The current position in question was one I found on line. She spoke to that hiring manager and I suspect that helped me get the phone interview. If I get any further in the process, I’d have to do another 6 hour round of interviews at some point. Originally, the person I interviewed with expressed some desire to have the face-to-face stuff done this week or the next, but when I spoke to her on Friday, she said she was still doing phone interviews this week and suggested I call back next Friday if I do not hear from her before then. This is my first choice because it’s Royal friggin’ Caribbean! How cool would that be!?!?! And I really enjoy my full day there in May. Unfortunately, I’m not feeling too good about my chances after the follow up call on Friday. Fingers are crossed.
2) Citrix Systems – I had an hour long phone interview yesterday. I’ll be following up from the road next week to find out what the schedule is for face-to-face interview. I think the phone interview went very well. This is second for 2 reasons. The first is that Citrix is a ginormous IT company which is highly respected. It would look really good on a resume years down the road. The other reason is because the role is very different. It’s a brand new role so I’d get a chance to mold some of my responsibilities and duties. I like that.
3) Bluegreen Corp. – My brother’s brother-in-law works for this time share company. He showed my resume to the director of IT and she liked it a lot. She wants to meet with me when I get to South Florida. There isn’t a specific role that I’m aware of which she is considering me for at this point. I would say that’s the main reason why this wouldn’t be #2. I think it’d be kind of cool to work for a time share company. Yeah, 2 out of the top 3 are vacation related companies. That’s not an accident.
4) Auxis – This is a consulting company. I’ve spoken to the recruiter a couple times. Each time he says that he definitely wants to set up interviews for me and asks for my availability. Each time he says he’s going to check the availability of the managers and get back to me. I still don’t have an actual interview set up yet. I’ve already done the consulting thing so this one doesn’t have the crisp new smell that the other ones have. And let’s be honest: when Royal Caribbean is first on your list, something like consulting just doesn’t seem all that interesting. However, it’s a job and it would show future employers that I can in fact do the consulting thing and the first 3 years weren’t a fluke. This is another nice resume builder.

There you have it. With any luck, by the time I arrive in Florida, I’ll have at least 3 of these guys scheduled for interviews (please let one be Royal Caribbean, please let one be Royal Caribbean….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home