Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Around the Horn

There's quite a bit going on at the moment. Enough to make one's head spin. And unfortunately, I haven't been here to guide you all through it. I"m going to try to get back ona regular schedule in the coming weeks. We'll see how that goes. I know I ahve at least 2 for this week: this one, which will be another "Bit of Everything" and a Harry Potter blog. SO on with the show!

Let's open with politics. This Karl Rove/CIA Leak thing has really had legs. I'm quite surprised. I thought for sure that there wouldn't be enough to keep interest and the administration would do enough to prevent this from going anywhere. But the media is actually performing it's job: the watch-dog of elected officials for the people. I think it's got a little to do with the fact that one of their own is in jail right now and a little to do witht he fact that Rove is so entirely unlikeable. Anyway, I'm still not convinced that anythign will actually happen to Rove - no way Bush can bite the hand that feeds him - but I do think this will be another little item on the mountain heap of crap that Mr. Joe America will remember when the mid-term elections come. I don't think that the Religious yahoos will get the boot entirely, but they sure don't look very good right now.

I don't like the new Daily Show set. I fear that they're starting to take themselves a little too seriously. The couch was just enough to say, "we handle serious topics but in a way that people can be a little relaxed." The new set looks a little TOO much like an actual news show. But the show is still as good as always. The guests are getting better, too. I never really like when he has celebs on. I prefer the political guests. Int he past 2 weeks, he had 2 different double-interview segments with conservatives. One was Creepy Senetor Extraordinaire Rick Santorum out of my home state of PA. He has writen a book called It Takes a Family - an obvious dig on Hilary "I'll support any view as long as it advances me PERSONALLY" Clinton's book It Takes a Village. I imagine Rick would fear that the fags int he village would make all the little boys start worrying about interior decorating. A good segment. Jon was trying to explain that any family unit can produce a good child but Santorum maintained that the IDEAL is a man and a woman without actually providing and evidence or reason on why this would be the ideal. The other was some creep who wrote a book call 100 People Who Are Ruining America which included Barbara Striesand, Howard Stern and Al Franken. I'm sorry, but if you're going to claim that Al Franken and Howard Stern are ruining America, you HAVE to include Rush Limbaugh or you lose all credibility. He's responsible for disecting this nation into a bunch of mindless regurgitators of quotes (rather than a nation of engaged open-dialouge thinkers) as much as anybody. FORGET THE FACTS, LET'S TALK REGURGITATION!!! Jon's best point was, listing Babs when people like Rove and Novak are revealing National Secrets is taking the focus off of what actually matters just a bit.

The new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie is really good. Johnny Depp rocks!! He may be my favorite actor right now. And the movie is just fun and not ... Tim Burton-ish. I wish I could expand on that thought. There's a certain quality that some Burton films have that make me like them the first time I see them, but then realize taht as movies themselves, they are completely forgetable. See BAtman, Edward Scissors Hand and The Legend of Sleepy Hallow.

Lastly, THE WEDDING!!! Jenn and I are getting really excited. The tentative number is still right around 60, but we're STILL waiting on people to send their responses. Jenn had her Bridal Shower on Sunday, which by all accounts was fun and a success. Katie was an absolute rock star hero in playing host and the cake was really yummie. That's about the best I can do with first hand information. Things are falling into place, but some little things are still un-done and I either forget to do them every day or forget to get them in order. My memory with this stuff has been really bad. Jenn, when you read this, pull out a pad of paper and write down the following things: e-mail picture of the cake, fax/mail song list, confirm process with the chapel, confirm menu, confirm when money is due. There, now they'll get done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home